Sunday 20 March 2016

The final countdown...

Well its 6 days and counting....At first it seemed so far in the future.....and well now its one week to go and as always happens before a big event or test or something, the feeling of 'I'm not ready...i'm not ready' is what i'm feeling sitting here typing this blog...

This time (as with all the previous times ;) I really do feel like i'm not ready.....I've spent 2 of the 3 last weeks not running due to my body failing me.....so I have not managed the training in the final lead up to the race.....I wanted to have done (should have done) an 18km this past weekend, but well I have had a chest problem (not a 'breast = chest' problem....but the other chest!!!)....and it really knocked me, today is the first day i'm feeling like I can try run again but no ways will I do an 18k...I have felt like poo and so has my mood because of it....BUT well, today I feel good and think I will attempt a small run...so the feeling of not being ready is rather well justified I believe....Im just hoping that the training BEFORE the last 3 weeks is enough to keep me going for the full 21kms.

The word 'huonosti' in our household  is used to describe the state of my sons underwear or tshirts when they are tucked in badly and irritate him (i'm not too sure about it being a proper Finnish word though )...as in: 'my underpants are HUONOSTI', usually followed by a tantrum and tossing of toys out the cot, leading up to a 30 minute discussion of why the underwear are huonosti and how we can sort out the situation before heading out the door if we are lucky....and I have to confess, I feel a little like that about the having to go run at the moment ...as in : 'the weather is HUONOSTI'...  Its actually magnificent, its sunny and the sky is a gorgeous blue and we have light till way after 6pm again, so in a general sense its magnificent......BUT for some freaking reason its gotten really cold again and I don't want it to be cold or windy and it is...i'm done with cold and wind and slippery ice, I want to run in minimal clothing, be warm and enjoy it, not worry about cold winds and that is NOT part of the weather at the moment.....the thought of putting on ALL my clothes and sticking my nose outside to have it freeze off and then get all sweaty and then have the cold wind blow and then and then.....hehe so can you see why the weather is huonosti ??!!

Anyways, I think its just because I have had so much 'time off' running and I have become soft over the past few weeks.....I need to sort myself out and just get out there again and suck it up.....I need to work on my SISU and toughness....

Just to give an idea of much ice there can be in sections I want to share a pic of a car that is parked in our parking lot and not moved (ever!).....in showing you this I am trying to garner some support in my misery and the huonosti-ness of the weather...but if you look closely at the wheel of the car you will see just how deep it is embedded in the ice........

I've made it extra big just in case you did not feel my pain :)

So anyways, I suppose I need to stop procrastinating and go get dressed, ge outside and ENJOY the fact that I am healthy, the sun is shining and I am going to have reached the goal I set all those months ago by this time next week...........

Here is the final route for my run....I'm actually not sure when I will run it as I am going to watch the weather.....I feel I will be best served if I run it on the best weather day possible....as in warmest/least wind as I think it will not be my best time yet .... so I need to make sure I can do the time outside without dying from being a frozen sweat ball...As always i'm following the weather app closely.....but chances are Saturday 10 am will be the time and day....A the moment the weatherapp says otherwise, but i'm being ever hopeful that by next week the weatherman has come around and decided its going to be a glorious sunny, windless morning :)

Now if you have not donated yet...FEEL FREE to click HERE and share the love...you know you want to!!!!!!!



6 comments:

  1. Sweating and freezing all at the same time.....sounds very huonosti to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O it's awfully huonosti..... :) But today I will try focus on the fact that there is sunshine and not obsess with the huonosti bits quite as much as I did yesterday ;) I dont want to admit too loudly that the wee run yesterday was not in fact too bad...but its given me the courage to fight the urge to let the huonosti weather prevent me going out today..

      Delete
  2. Your weather sounds hyvää to me! I really miss the snow and ice... but then, I'm not trying to run. Hope it goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicki I agree in part...the snow is truly gorgeous, as you say hyvää....But this end bit (as it is in the start bit too...) its no longer white fluffy snow ... i'm dealing with grey evil looking snow, bits of dog poop which come out from hiding as it warms up (and give off a delightful smell during the day) and then stones and sand scraped up into the mix...loads of bright yellow patches too....then by the evening the watery bits which turn into sheer ice as the sun disappears appear too...is most definitely not hyvää....Possibly its because i'm in the city, along with lots of dogs and a few people...but well...I'm trying to appreciate the stony sidewalks and focus on the sunshine and fact that we can still be outside at 6pm now days ;) However today its -15 again and I got to say...ROLL ON SUMMER!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Exciting times! Don't worry about not running much in the final 3 weeks, your base fitness will carry you through and after a break, your running muscles will be raring to go! Sounds frustrating though that even though it's light and bright it's still not great for running. Hoping the weather behaves on the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that....Ive managed two small runs and they were ok...I think I realise on Saturday I wake up and will tell myself, ok today is the day, you can do it, you have trained and well...I will simply do it...I still remember when I was terrified of trying my first 10K last year around this time and my husband said, you will be fine you can do it....this is the same I suppose....Weather is actually looking ok...as long as the wind is low, I am happy....so yea, nearly there!!!!!

      Delete