Sunday 6 December 2015

Now onto the running....



Well this is my first 'running' post and its already December 6th!!  I have to say setting up a blog SUX...I have no patience and I am not sure what to say in it......But I do want to raise money so I am hoping through this I can generate awareness of the Anna Foundation and my crazy attempt as  person born in a warm country attempting to run in conditions that are less than warm ;)

Anyways, the snow has arrived, the temps are currently hovering around zero...some days just above some days just below.  This is NOT a good thing ;)  Let me explain why for those of you non-cold places peeps....

When the temp is below zero, the snow stays as snow, its gorgeous, and we are all happy people up here in the north.  I am able to run...the paths are cleared and usually have gravel on them...as you can see here.  It is not so slippery....


Now the thing is, as soon as the temps hover at zero or above, the snow turns to sleep, the snow on the ground turns into a slush, it gets very wet and well.....its just not nearly as nice....as soon as the night comes/ or the temperature drops again, this ice/slush turns to rock solid ice and its SUPER slippery and dangerous...

So sadly after last nights temps rising to about 1 degree, we now have an outside of slush and ice....The paths are wet with slushy ice and well....i'm not sure I can run...We will go outside later and I will inspect.  Its not necessarily slippery....but its the wetness that affects running in these conditions.  Imagine running in deep slushy! Your shoes get wet....and your feet go numb....

I really hope I can get to run today as I need too....

A few fun facts that you need to know....its not so cold yet, but when I run, its usually in the dark....When I first came to Finland we were told about the use of reflectors and their importance.  I remember thinking....Only twits use reflectors, they truly look like idiots!!! I mean who walks around with little gadgets that shine hanging off them??!!  Not me....On top of that I was very rude about how the Finns in general tend to wear mainly back....its sooo depressing and in the dark months one really needs colour.....well its 8 years down the line, not only do I wear reflectors and see the ABSOLUTE importance of them, most of my outer clothing is black......I also wear beanies and gloves and layers of clothing!!!!!!  

I possibly tend to overdo the reflectors...but I DO NOT want to be hit by a car because I am hidden from sight as I am in all black...hehe


I am visible!!
This is my current running look...what you cant see are the layers underneath my top...I end up wearing a black beanie OVER my yellow shiny one and well.....I have got on a pair of leg warmers....on top of my warm lined tights :)  I sure am a sight...if there is a slight breeze the hoody from my wind breaker goes up!  

Whoever designed the groovy pink gloves ive recently purchased, reputable Asics gloves for winter, CLEARLY did not consider winter in the sense I experience winter...I will need to wear a set of inner warm gloves as my fingers were frozen after my 10K on Thursday night!!

.

6 comments:

  1. Great you got this blog together and I will be a loyal reader. You can so do this - just think when you run it won't be in these slushy dark conditions.
    By the way, a someone who moans about the lack of reflectors on cyclists, runners etc just like you, have you though about actual lights while running -I have a nice little string of LEDs that will work nicely. It is approaching Christmas after all.
    Keep on running....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just seen a lady with some lights around her arm....looked like a proper light arm band....not the kinda light peeps hang off their dogs!! So im now on a mission to find this particularly cool looking arm band light...it was lime green too...so its a winner :)

      Delete
    2. Ah,I've got those green light arm bands! I looked though and where I bought them has sold out of green. I'll see if I can find them anywhere else. They are great and they get me lots of comments!!

      Delete
  2. holy crap you are kitted out! Now lets see what you have on UNDER all that sexy gear...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!!! Love how reflective you are...you are a machine running in thise conditions....legend hayley....keep it up girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today I ran in the 'light' time of the day and my man commented that I did not need the groovy hat...as I was visible in the light....But no ways, its way cool and soooooooooo ugly its worth a giggle ;)

      Delete